Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Graduate Arrowheadologist

3 site specific points

and their associated tools...

I think the fun part about collecting is piecing together the history. All of these finds are what I call bank bleeds or eroded village sites. 2 of the sites are small enough that I feel comfortable believing that most of the lithics coming out of the bank are related to that specific village and not contaminted by villages pre or post. What I find most interesting is the evolution of the triangular point styles...

The first village site is located in Ft Blackmoore VA. I believe it's middle woodland site. It's pottery is mostly smooth with chunky temper. Most of the sites in this area are typical woodland sites. Also found a broken celt here.

Name:  Midddd.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  60.7 KBName:  miiiiiid.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  67.6 KB

The second village looks like a Mississipian village site. Everything found was within a shell midden. The triangle points are noticably smaller in size then the woodland site above. A couple of those triangles would have been close to" G-whatever you wanna call its" had they not had a ding off the edges. I am assuming the change in size is more related to moving away from the Atlatl

Name:  Misss.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  Missss.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  61.9 KB

The last site is my Pisgah Site that is the youngest of the 3 sites. It's pottery is elaborate and is pretty easily dated within the last 500-600 years. Notice how the triangles are almost evolving into just tips, almost pathetic looking compared to the middle woodland. Intricate pottery and gaming discs show these people to have had more time for leisure...I am guessing the AtlAtl was long gone by this point and adoption of farming was replacing ALOT of things point related.

Name:  doooog.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  doooooog.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  62.1 KB

Thoughts? Disagreement?
    Last edited by beargrass; 06-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.

2. # ADS

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Seems to make sense, more leisure, less hunting, more farming. Good post!

HEAD HUNTER
    First off I enjoy your posts a great deAl. They are interesting and help to really try to gain a better understanding. It always seems to me that alot more pride is shown overall in earlier projectiles. Hunting was key as farming wasn't apart of earlier culture. But also location and material play a key roll in projectile apperance. I did see whille in tennessee that the workmanship in triangular points seemed to be very good when I found it associated with pottery. I think it's more of the band of natives,the material ,and the size of the available cobble In that area that turns out killers or a field grade point

P
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Very interesting post.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    One has to remember history is not a neat everything in proper order. Looking at type books and other publications it makes it seem one point type stopped at a certain time and another started. Just is not exactly how it has happened through history, through my eyes. Many, many point types over lapped greatly, and if one digs enough village sites one will see that even in a certain groups defined by pottery that many preferred making point types that by reading type books, they were not suppose to be making, along side each other. One big factor over looked is that not all past ancient ones enjoyed making arrowheads and not all took their manufacture to a high level. One can find crappy made points in any type of style and age. Same as people today, everyone has/had different preferences on how to spend their time in a given day.

I have one Woodland site in E. Tenn that is predominately Durst points (very crude Drust points, cruder than the normal crude Durst) , which seemingly is always crude, lol. Though the bone items, bannerstones and celts are better than average. The only other two type points found over 20 years on this site is one lost Dalton (a passerby in time), a few LeCroys (again passer by's) and some nice Hamilton triangles, enough found suggesting more than a passer by.
    Drust points generally are so crude even to a an experienced hunter/collector they can be over looked or not recognized. After finding literally hundreds of these crude stye points and putting them all together can one see they are truly, very crude Durst points that would kill something but not be very fashionable in doing so. On this site it is very apparent the whole village was making this style of point. They have been found literally just laying around the village site in many random locations. After knowing where all the huts were located, one can easily imagine the points were not assigned to any specific location....more like community property. They had no care of whether some got lost or not, they were not something they were not personally proud of but just a means to an end to kill something, with minimum of time involve in making. The most recovered at one time was 47. It seemed so odd since that anywhere else in a 10 mile range finding these crude points seldom happened. The Durst depending on which book you read dates that type of point at 3000-2500 BP. The other most common point found (but in small numbers) is the Hamilton triangle date by most to be around 1600 - 1000 BP. Looking at a book that's a lot of years difference in my eyes. Then one day in scratching around a hut on the site we excavated a small burial. It was a child and had been shot twice in the chest with Hamilton Triangle points. From the finds on this site at least it gives the impression the Drust people (for lack of a better term) were to some degree being attacked by other people using Hamilton triangles? Which shows there is alot more of over lap than what one gathers from type books on what techniques of certain weapons and tools different tribes of people used at any given time.

Another example of this is my dad and I have a Paleo site in Florida where we have found Clovis/Swannee/Simpson at the exact same levels and within a few feet of each other in a 15' x 15' area that suggests it was a reloading area for broken points where the shaft were still useable? In this area I speak of 17 broken examples of all 3 Paleo types were found at the same levels and association. To me it shows people like today, had their particular preference for a certain type of design. Suggesting to me even then, there was the ones wanting the latest technically points of their supposed time, while others were old school?? Yet type books make one think one point type started and stopped here, and then the next point type started and stopped there. Its just not what I have found to be such a linear direction in my 34 yeas of hunting, at least in the areas I hunt. Just expressing hard earned thoughts and experiences.

---------><---------
    Good observations here gents. I've noticed similar patterns regarding the evolution of point styles on sites I hunt.

Gomer, the Durst (Lamoka variants) are common here as well, especially on sites with triangular types.