Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    lol, i think this goes without saying....but, a classic example of the ole turkey feather water drip arrowhead:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    Those are good ones, and they were found around North East Texas / Louisiana area.
    Is that the area you purchased them.
    When we were kids we used to sell them to the small souvenir shops all around East Texas for around a quarter a piece, we would sell a few hundred at a time.

Sanity is Overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by mark adams View Post
    check them with a jewelers loop for any metal copper marks. Check with ultraviolet light to look for recent re-chipped ares.
    Pictures?
    I never dismiss a point due to metal marks. It's far to common to see them with valid metallic marks. Rings will mar them and often they are thrown in a pocket with loose change, a toolbox, or even wired to a board. You can generally differentiate those from metal tool markings from knapping, though.

UV lights are a good tool to have, but only work effectively on a few materials. Most people tend to not use UV to it's full potential - I've found that it works far better if used in conjunction with polarized glasses.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    The orange one looks just like a Duval point that we find on middens in Central-North West Coast FL

Arrowhead Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I never dismiss a point due to metal marks. It's far to common to see them with valid metallic marks. Rings will mar them and often they are thrown in a pocket with loose change, a toolbox, or even wired to a board. You can generally differentiate those from metal tool markings from knapping, though.

UV lights are a good tool to have, but only work effectively on a few materials. Most people tend to not use UV to it's full potential - I've found that it works far better if used in conjunction with polarized glasses.
    Good point Matt .... in fact I've found a few with metal marks from the screen I was sifting with. Real important to note where the marks are and what kind of metal. Copper is a bad sign, as Mark noted ... the points in question look good to me also.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    I've found that If an Indian is still holding it,,,it is authentic............THATS ALL FOLKS - YouTube
    Never fry bacon naked,,

Sanity is Overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by David Crain View Post
    Good point Matt .... in fact I've found a few with metal marks from the screen I was sifting with. Real important to note where the marks are and what kind of metal. Copper is a bad sign, as Mark noted ... the points in question look good to me also.
    I know of some authentic points that were killed by a very well known authenticator because of copper marks. The problem was, they were legit. The owner / finder kept them in a drawer where he chunked his loose change. The "copper" was undoubtedly from pennies. To tell the truth, I had to scratch my head that he couldn't tell that.

The position of the metallic marks on the piece will tell the story. If you find them only on the perimeter, this should give a person cause to raise an eyebrow and look closer. If you see the marks on the side of a stack or deep flake termination...worry. Modern knappers hate stacks or ugly high terminations on blade faces and will usually try to remove them...aesthetics. It's very rare that you will see that in an aboriginal piece.

Ha! Ha! Probably so, Mark. I've lived in Orange my entire life and childhood vacations were visiting family in Henrietta, OK. I would say heading North from Orange right up the TX / LA border the chances are high they came from where you say.

Thanks guys for all the shared knowledge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12