Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nebraska Knife

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Maryland but I hunt my home states of Oklahoma and South Dakota

Nebraska Knife

Found this one last summer. I think it is Niobrara Chert. Hopefully some of the Nebraska folks can help me on this one.Name:  IMG_2370.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  36.8 KB

2. # ADS

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Cant help but I will say its a nice find. Love the color
    A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Ill take a bad day of arrowhead hunting over a good days work anytime!!!

Relic Hunter
    Almost everything I find is made out of that stuff. Sure looks like Niobrara to me. Nice knife.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    I'm with goodtime on this one. I have a few points made of the same material and lots of chips. great find

Veteran Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by oklasodak View Post
    Found this one last summer. I think it is Niobrara Chert. Hopefully some of the Nebraska folks can help me on this one.
    Really nice color on that one oklasodak

Your material ID will work as many collectors call it Niobrara and others use the term Smoky Hill jasper which has a longer history of use.

The material is a silicified chalk occurring at the top of the Smoky Hill Chalk member of the Niobrara Formation. The Niobrara Formation underlies much of the Great Plains but the silicified chalk outcrops of the Smoky Hill member are known to exist only in parts of Kansas and Nebraska.

Calling the material Niobrara because it is from the Niobrara formation can be confusing to some because that particular formation covers a huge area of the Plains (parts of seven states).

Some archaeological publications refer to it as Smoky Hill chert/jasper and some refer to it as Niobrara which also can be very confusing to those not familiar with this particular lithic.

It was a Kansas archaeologist who started using the term Niobrara jasper over twenty years ago in his publications but he now agrees that was not a good idea. Interestingly, in his latest publication (2010) he has reverted back to using the more appropriate scientific name, Smoky Hill jasper. SH

MikeE
    You have to love those materials found in Nebraska...thanks for the info smokeyhill, by the way how do you pronounce "Niobrara" ?
    Mike

MikeE

Nebraska knife

Broken but some characteristics found on Folsom "ultrathins"--very thin and flakes are diving in to thin the center...looks like a P-wood to me. I don't know the exact provinance. The Graham family farm? Nebraska - 1950's
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Arrowheadologist
    Good ole Smoky Hill Jasper. Find quite a bit of it here in S.W. Ks. Nice piece.

Veteran Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
    You have to love those materials found in Nebraska...thanks for the info smokeyhill, by the way how do you pronounce "Niobrara" ?
    Mike
    Mike this should get you in the ball park: Ni-o-brar-a or nigh-uh-brair-uh

Just call it Smoky Hill and you won't have to worry about it, lol. SH

MikeE
    thanks very much. I knew I was doing it wrong.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast